Sunday, April 10, 2011

Korean diaspora

Diaspora- n. any group migration or flight from a country or region; dispersion.

Mathew and I
In the last 10 days, I've been traveling around with my friend Mathew to different churches and groups in the Greater London area. Specifically, we have been visiting the Korean churches in the area.  For me, this seems pretty normal.  I'm a Korean-American and I do feel called to the Korean people, although I'm not sure 100% in which way.  But for my friend, it might seem a bit odd.  Mathew is Jewish and is very passionate for the people of Korea; for Koreans in the north, south, and in diaspora.  Mathew has a unique story in how God brought him to be used in Korea but that will be for another time.

Mathew at Happy Church
A commonality between Jews and Koreans is that we are all dispersed through out the world.  Mathew has been sharing many stories and testimonies of what the Lord is doing through Koreans for the nation of Israel.  It has been interesting to see how God is planning on using the Korean people throughout the world for the Kingdom of Heaven.  It has been a very eye-opening time to be shown the different ways God wants to use his people and also the different culture of Koreans the UK has to bring.

Being Korean-American, I never thought of the possibility of Koreans in other countries besides Korea and America.  It just goes to show that we only know what we know, but it is very interesting and amazing to see the Korean Christian community in the UK.  The community has many similarities but also some differences in some of the issues and also the anointing and blessings being released over them comparatively to the Korean-American Christian community.  

So far, my time has been wonderful with meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ and also hearing the good words of my friend releasing the blessings over the Korea community.  Next stop, Wales.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am a Korean-Canadian. When I was younger I never appreciated my background, but that's completely changed for me now. But I agree, it's definitely so amazing to see the Korean Christian community in so many places around the world - Australia, all over Canada, Europe...
    I love it. This is community - God's people coming together to serve his Kingdom.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete