Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hyderabad, India


The record high this week was 104 degrees F. After riding so long in a train for 30 hours with no A/C we are welcomed to Hyderabad where the word hot is an understatement. I didn't know that it was even possible for somewhere to be so hot day and night. And we finally arrived at the YWAM base in Hyderabad

The picture above is a picture I took during the class I was teaching. On the second full day I had a chance to teach a mini-DTS that was taking place and they asked the team to teach. That day Joyce and I taught the classes. It was really touching and inspiring to be with Indian believers. Some of these people came and left their families to attend for just one week, others traveled to the YWAM Base many hours by train to come for this one week course. It is such desperation to be closer to the Lord. I don't know them each individually but I do know that for them to have come they must really love the Lord.

This is my first time in India and it is very difficult to describe India. There are no such things as lanes of traffic, people turn whenever they want, honking doesn't mean get out of my way or express anger but it means I'm coming, people squeeze in tight spots to get ahead and even people on mopeds weave in and out of traffic. The city I'm in has alot of different American and European fashion but it also has buildings that look very broken down, the main eating utensil is your hands, and it is very hot. Food is always cooked in some kind of spice, usually curry or something similar to it. Trash is thrown everywhere and many times beggars will come and hold out their hands until you give them something or you have to be just as stubborn and not give in (that's because sometimes the beggars are scamming). The same problems that we see in the west are also here as well as problems we don't face. They have a really poverty mindset which leads to the country being in poverty.

But even in such brokenness and chaos, I'm loving it. The staff I'm working with are so friendly and they have been very helpful. As they have taken us around town, as we have seen different areas of the city, I'm falling in love with India. God has a heart for this place and He's giving it to me too. I'm so touched and encouraged by the believers here and it's only been about 5 days. There is so much more for us to do and see.

2 comments:

  1. I know God values your heart and hardship you volunteered for the Lord. I pray for many fruits from your hard labor of love. Stay safe. Glad that Joyce was able to come to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, glad to see you blog post. You are a good writer, I felt like was there, feeling the heat! Jim

    ReplyDelete