Sunday, November 28, 2010

Safely Home

I made it home Saturday night November 27 untouched by cholera or any other sickness that was possible for me to contract while I was there.  It was an amazing time with the Fire and Fragrance team and the Awaken DTS crew.

Before I left for Haiti, the impression I had was that it would be like India and I was right.  Although it was not as hot as India it was as dusty, dirty and had similar smells as I imagined it would have.  Haiti is a beautiful place that has been ravaged by an earthquake.  The people are very kind and full of joy even though they live in conditions that are well below what we consider poor in the West.  It's crazy to think that right off the coast of Florida that one of the world's poorest nations exists and that they need so much help rebuilding their cities as well as their own lives.

Pheobe and Una praying for
some new friends
The 200 hours of worship and prayer was not like what I imagined but it was very practical.  Everyone took a different shift through the day and in the evenings we would worship and pray together as a group.  During the day there were other ministry's available.  At one of the ministries, I was able to go to the tent cities and help minister to them through prayer, the gospel, and in very practical ways like building tents for those who lost theirs when the rain came.  Some people also needed better tents because it was torn or in very poor condition.


Presidential palace.  It used to
be two stories.
 One of the tent cities we went to was right by the Presidential palace.  The "president" of the tent city (he's like a leader/manager of the tent city) told us that no one had gone into the tent city since Jan 12 which was when the earthquake happened.  He said that other organizations and ministries are too afraid to enter in because the people in this particular tent city are prone to violence and rioting and that it means a lot that we are entering into the camp and meeting the people where they are.

There are so many stories to tell about this short trip and I guess I'll be sharing little be little in the next coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment